Tuesday 15 March 2011

Raise your glass if you are wrong... in all the right ways.

Apologies for my lengthy blog break. It's been a stupid couple of weeks that kept me pretty busy, time slipped away from me, and I'm about to tell you all about it.

I would bet money that you have read or seen a TV program (often referred to as an all-singing, all-dancing theatrical palarva called "The News") about the newer generations of graduates who are what is technically known as "screwed".

In case you don't believe that I stayed sober long enough to pass a course at University, here is a picture of me and my beautiful, talented friend Anika doing some graduating...

...No one needs to know I got a degree in cleaning, not journalism as I may or may not state on my CV. Anyway.

I'm sure we're all sick to death of hearing about the ordeal that is budget cuts, job losses, the raising of uni fees, how pointless most degrees are now, student debt and just what the government did to fuck it all up for everyone. I wont bore you with the ins and outs, not because you'll find it dull to read when you could be filling your time with something more useful like racing your pet snails, but because it annoys me so much that I might tear out my eyes and stick them to the back of my head to lighten the mood. What I'd like to do, however, is tell you about my predicament as a victim of this whole jobseeking jam we're in. And I'd really like to know what you would do.

In the usual crazy backwards way that I like to do things, I'm attempting to live the dream and get out of the rat race now, in the light of the fact that due to being young and having only just graduated, I can't beat the competition I face for even the most basic of media jobs in London - media professionals (and many other professionals, especially those working in the public sector) have faced redundancies due to budget cuts and now they are joining the clamoring for entry level jobs because there isn't anything else, having years of experience on their student competition.

I am trying to relocate to Cornwall. It's beautiful there, there are nice people there and I just want to for lots of reasons. I don't want to resign the rest of my life to braving rush hour for a London job just now, and the South West is luring me so I'm following it, and I have lots of plans for when I get there.
The other plus is that job interviews go really well for me in Cornwall... until the inevitable final hurdle. Four Cornish interviews down the line and I have displayed my "infectious personality", "extensive professional experience" and "strong image" to the max... but my feedback has always either been that I'm "too strong", or more commonly, "you've worked in such big companies that we fear you may come here and be bored".

I do understand, but only to a degree. Given this list of professional placements I've got through in my short 21 years, I really hope the interviewers gave me the credit of knowing just what I was getting myself into. And they have all been lovely people to meet, I keep in contact with them and the most recent lady has given me some freelance work on the soon-to-be-launched Good Cornwall Guide, which is very exciting.

In terms of this whole job situation though... What do I do?! How is it that I can be too young and inexperienced for one place, and too good for positions in another? It's so frustrating and, if I could be so bold, a little nonsensical. What would you do if you were wrong in all the right ways? Because I really am searching for an answer that I'm not sure exists.

No comments: